Friday, December 09, 2005

It's cold in Texas

Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young— a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God. Psalm 84:3

.....

I've only been in Texas for about 8 1/2 years, but that is a sufficient amount of time to thin my blood to where I just can't take the cold! Last night I took my daughter to Old Navy, we bought a couple of sweaters and some "waffle weave" shirts (which to me are called long-john shirts) and then we went home and I almost blew up the house trying to light the gas fireplace. And then we piled all the lap blankets on our legs and turned on the tv. Of course, every 5 minutes, we both had to jump up and run to the kitchen or the restroom, on the cold tile floor, but we finally warmed up. How often do I forget to appreciate being warm at night, and being near my daughter, and sharing each other's blankets. It made me start thinking about all the homeless folks in Houston who don't have a fireplace to blow up, or a soft sofa to nest in, or a warm daughter to snuggle against. And those who are in prison who can't make sure their children are tucked under the blankets on a cold night. I also though about little Tiki Buggs, and all the children who have been victimized by an adult who should have been taking care of them. I want us to all pray for her, her family, and for all who are heartbroken and struggling on this cold night in Houston and across most of the U.S.

.....

Loving God, you nurture us like a parent, you give us the shelter of your altar in which to nest. Be present in our lives today, as we lift up those who need your care. Show us the way to help, and guide us in your path. We pray for those who are in need, and for those who are lost. Dear loving God, hold them in your arms and keep them from any harm. Bring them into new life in you. Particularly we pray for Tiki Buggs. There is so little hope for her family in this life, let them place their hope in you, and know that Tiki will always be safe in your care.

We pray for Garry Hutchison and his family, Michael Badon, his wife Danielle, mother Deborah and aunt Deidra, for Curtis Jurecka. These individuals have asked for your blessing, and we lift them up to your loving care.

Help us learn from the suffering we see around us. Help us to know that in spite of all the cruelty we see, that we are created in your loving image. Touch the cold hearts of anyone who has shut out the love you offer, and melt away the fear and anger. Create in us the ability to move beyond the suffering we have encountered, into a new life celebrating your selfless and pure love for all of our days. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home