Monday, January 16, 2006

God of blue Monday...


"Even though the fig trees are all destroyed, and there is neither blossom left nor fruit, and though the olive crops all fail, and the fields lie barren; even if the flocks die in the fields and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will be happy in the God of my salvation." Habakkuk 3:17-18


My car is wrecked, the house payment is behind, my business is being investigated by the IRS and I suspect my bookkeeper has been taking a little under the table, The kids are in trouble at school, my wife is so mad I'm expecting any day for my clothes to be on the curb when I come home, and I keep having this strange pain in my left shoulder, but, you know, I think everything is going to be all right in the end. Is this a modern day Habakkuk, or just a fool? Who knows? God knows!

Into every life some rain must fall. Into some lives, it seems to be monsoons! If our peace of mind is dependant upon the circumstances of the day, these rainy days will lead us to lamentation and despair. But if we accept and really believe our profession that God is in control, then we will be able to celebrate in the face of hardship. Does it mean we'll never experience hardship? No, but that we can keep our perspective and work through the obstacles, with our eyes focused on God. There are some people who can always give you a list of grievences, every time you see them on the street. It seems life is simply a matter of one day being worse than the one that came before it. But those who are living in Chirst, no matter what their circumstances are, have an uncanny ability to share joy with all they meet. Praise God for them, and pray count me among them!


Remind us that you are not just the God of Sundays and sunny days, but also the God of blue Mondays, bad hair days, and every other day. Help us place you first in our lives, and know that you are always with us, so that even if everything else may fall away we will always have you. We lift up Frances Garcia, her kids and her parents. For Wayne Milton and Ann Marie Sonnon, and for Lydia Sanchez, we ask your blessing. For everyone who feels despair and hopelessness, help them turn to you and find hope. We give you thanks for everyone who crosses our path to remind us of your love, and those who shared your joy with us, especially Nancy, who was and is the inspiration of "New Day in Christ" Ministries. We celebrate her life, and we praise you that in her life, we came to see you. Thank you, Dear God of Monday and every day, for our beloved friend Nancy. In Jesus' name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home