Friday, March 03, 2006

Prayers from Prison


"Please help. Even though I pray every night, I don't feel forgiven. I hear you talking to me all the time. But I always dis-obey you. Why? Because You gave me free will. I'm sorry Heavenly Father. I hope you get this letter before its too late..." Lindy L. "If I had enough paper and you had enough time I could write a whole 500 pg. book about one wild and crazy messed up, out of control, worthless life, gut shot, gambling, coke-dealing, stabbed, face smashed car-wreck of a life. When you pray to God, thank him for putting me behind bars." Tim McQ. "Would ya'll please pray for me, I want to change my life. Every time we go to church and they start singing or just talking about God, my heart cry's out to him. Tears just start coming out. ... Please help me." Lydia C.

Since the beginning of this ministry, one of the most awe inspiring manifestations of the Spirit continues to be the hundreds of letters we receive each week from prisoners around the country. This Lenten season, we have pulled out some of the old files to remind us of our imprisonment to sin.
During the Ash Wednesday service, worshipers were invited to come and to see the addresses from all over Texas, from PeeWee Valley, Kentucky and Danbury, Connecticut, from Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Coleman, Florida. From all 50 states and from 10 foreign countries, we have fulfilled requests for calendar mailings. We posted just a small portion of the letters. Additional letters were read as prayers, and more letters will be used throughout Lent to keep us focused on our committment to help our brothers and sisters in prison, and to also consider our own lives, and the ways in which we lock ourselves away from others and from God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home