Tuesday, September 13, 2005

All About "A New Day in Christ" Calendar Ministry

At First Cumberland Presbyterian Church, we see our calendar ministry as evidence that God is taking an active role in directing our work. As we worked on the first calendar six years ago, no one fully understood the purpose that God had designated for this work. We simply realized that a similar 40-day devotional booklet we shared during our “Gathered People” building program was an inspiration. So a few faithful souls were inspired to create a new calendar, a full year calendar for the new millennium. This was a huge undertaking for our small congregation of under one hundred. At times we thought it might be too much, but through persistence, patience and prayer, “A New Day in Christ” was the result of that inspiration. Upon completion about 500 calendars were sent out, two to each contributor, with a letter suggesting we keep one calendar for our own daily meditation, and pass on the second copy to a friend.

The first distribution was like sowing seeds that spread on the winds wherever the Spirit found fertile ground. Each calendar, then and now, carries with it an invitation to share a copy with a friend by calling or writing the Church. At first, we received just a few calls and a couple of letters each week. At first, some of us wondered how we would ever distribute the 5000 additional calendars we had in storage. Some of us were just waiting, getting ready for the wind to blow the right way.
Some calendars were requested for inmates in the Texas prison systems. They told others, and more letters started coming in. We were surprised when we began receiving more letters from prisoners from outside Texas. As inmates were being transferred out of Texas, they were spreading the word and encounaging people to write to request a calendar of their own. We ordered more calendars. Inmates wrote back after receiving their calendar to ask for another one for their wife or sister, for their father or their son. They were sharing the good news from wherever they were.

We heard from some inmates that their calendar was confiscated due to the spiral binding being a hazard. We ordered glue bound calendars. Soon the letters increased steadily to the point where this project has become a full time ministry. From within the prison walls, God’s glory is being revealed through the calendar, which is providing daily inspiration and hope to thousands of men and women who are in desperate need of a new direction for their lives. Through word of mouth from neighbor to neighbor, and sharing in small groups, people are becoming partners in the calendar ministry. Now, we serve them, following God’s direction, as hundreds of requests come in by phone and mail every week.
Two basic principles guide our mission. First, we only send one calendar to each individual whose name has been individually and specifically lifted up. Groups of people may get together and send in requests, but we ask that each calendar is mailed directly to an individual. Secondly, we do not solicit donations from persons who have requested the calendar. The calendar is free, like the priceless gift of grace we receive as Christians.

"I want to thank you for the wonderful things you do for us here in prison, that are really sincere in our relationship to our Father in Heaven. "

"I am fresh out of prison into a recovery institute, by choice. I am tired of being tired. I've chosen to continue my incarceration so I can learn how to be sober and be a Godly man."

"This life I've had has been like a prison. I've used drugs and alcohol to cover up the pain -- to hide the "me" that is so damaged. Now I'm sober and having to face reality. I can't do it alone."

"I am indigent, but I will make sure that I will do my best to pay for a devotional calendar by sending you a drawing. I can draw a little, but I'm willing to do my best for one of those calendars."

"I'm in prison. Will you please send these people one of your awesome devotionals? I know it will make a difference in their lives, like it has in mine."

"I recently received one of your devotional calendars "A New Day in Christ." I was quite moved because of such a blessing that I was compelled to write you this note of thanks. Each morning when I awake the calendar provides me with a scripture and prayer to meditate on for that day. This is such a great tool to focus and strengthen my faith."

"I would like to first say it truly was a Godsend to receive the calendar from your church, it truly lifted my spirits. It let me know someone cares about my spiritual well being."

"The devotional calendar is a Godsend in and of itself. I have a hunger for the word and it is all I can do to keep myself from reading cover to cover rather than day-to-day. Your gift has blessed me indeed. Big grin. Praise God!"

"I feel the power of God every morning as I read my devotional calendar I stand up in the middle of the dorm and read it out loud. And a few of my brothers stay awake and we have bible study."


These are just a few of the thousands who have written in to tell us that God has touched their lives through the “New Day in Christ” calendar ministry. Over and over, these people tell us that God is working through the calendar to help them. And over and over, they say to you, “Thank you!” and “You are in our prayers!” The wind continues to blow, and we are preparing to order more calendars.

You are invited to support this miraculous ministry in any way you feel inspired. By reading and answering letters, creating new devotional materials, providing financial support, becoming a pen-pal prayer partner with an inmate, or including this ministry in your prayers for guidance and direction, you can help continue God’s work. If you feel led to become involved in this outreach, please call to learn more about opportunities to serve.



Dear God, please continue to bless the efforts of your children engaged in spreading the good news through out the world. Today we specifically ask blessing for “A New Day in Christ” calendar ministry, for all who wrote devotions for it, for those who produce and distribute it, and for all who turn to it for inspiration each day. Make us one in your love, as your extended community of saints, and show us the way to continue sharing the good news of your love, active and alive in the world. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home